Sunday 1 January 2012

Words of silence

As a kid I've always been following them for overnight fishing around Singapore and sometimes, Malaysia too. It wasn't really my own hobby. I guess it's just passed down. But the interest died down a couple of years back when I didn't feel the fun of it. From then on, luring me away for a fishing trip was quite a challenge for them.

But last night, I changed my mind and accompanied my dad and uncle - for fishing.
(Sorry pb dudes, didn't join coz I didn't want to spread my illness to you)

They brought me to a dark, unlit, empty stretch of beach at Changi. Set up my own small 1 man plastic sheet on the sand, in front of the waves. Put on a jacket, crossed my legs, and stared straight ahead.

Soon after that, it was midnight. The ships in the distance had a joyful battle of their loud horns, and shot flares into the sky.

Ahh. 2012. (:

When the flares disappeared, I wondered why there aren't many people around to witness this quiet side of Singapore for their 'countdown'. It was just the three of us, plus a handful of moving headlights at the other corner of the beach - another group of fishermen.


And then, something got me.


My dad and uncle. Just seating beside their rods, soothed by the sea breeze. Hours of dead silence. I remember being told to be quiet when I was fishing with them as a kid.

"You'll chase the fish away."   xD

But now I'm thankful to realize, that it's more than that.


Silence is a special form of discipline in fishing, and possibly everything, too.

A form of respect, that we're finding food first-hand, for our family.
An opportunity to have a purely undistracted, and clear mind.
A time to be humbled by the creations of the stars, land and sea.
A stage to have the birds-eye view over current happenings.

But most of all, I love viewing it as a tool to communicate with those around you.

I may be melodramatic here (very), but it's as though my dad and uncle were talking to me, in silence. Hmmm. What's famous for telepathy? Stars Wars? Bananas In Pajamas? Vampires? No? Hahaha. xD

I felt as though I was being filled by their words, advice, and lessons. Hahaha call me crazy, for all I care! But I really experienced it. Maybe it's just me getting through their perspectives and wondering -

What would they do if they're in my shoes? Just maybe.


Well, their silence spoke to me, and here I am writing. [:




They're not quiet people only when they face the sea, they're generally quiet in life too.
Not just vocally.

If you don't mind, may I share something about them?
Please don't see it as me being overproud of them. (:

I didn't know my uncle was a respected football player in the local region. He never spoke to me a single word about his glory. In his prime, the word of his name got passed around by players. He even got invited to join a singapore squad but he declined. I was told he wanted to stay off the media, and man I truly respect that decision.

And for my dad, I respect his silence of self-sacrifice. During his early 20s he somehow managed to be finger-picked as a pilot. Private planes, or some sort. But he knew that to proceed to the last stage of that career, he needs a sum of money for the last course. He turned down the offer, not even asking his parents for aid as he knew that his family's financially status wasn't good back then. What a man.


I hope to learn everything from them, someday.

Even if they're not going to say a word, I'll listen.

Listen to the words of silence.

They are priceless.

No comments: