Friday 30 October 2015

We grow through solitude

"It is difficult today to leave one's friends and family and deliberately practice the art of solitude, for an hour or a day or a week. And yet, when it is done, I find there is a quality of being alone that is incredibly precious. Life rushes back into the void, richer, more vivid, fuller than before...

It is not physical solitude that actually separates one from other men, not physical isolation, but spiritual isolation. It is not the desert island nor the stony wilderness that cuts you from the people you love. It is the wilderness of the mind, the desert wastes in the heart through which one wanders lost and a stranger. When one is a stranger to oneself then one cannot touch others. How often, in a large city, shaking hands with my friends, I have felt the wilderness stretching between us. Both of us were wandering in arid wastes, having lost the springs that nourished us-or having found them dry.

Only when one is connected to one's own core is one connected to others, I am beginning to discover. And for me, the core, the inner spring, can best be re-found through solitude."

- Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift From the Sea.


- - -

I wrote a post here on 25 September 2013, hesitating to share a meaningful letter. I didn't share it. I had my reasons back then. But recently things have changed around me and within me. I have my own new reasons now. So I'll share.

1) Pardon the grammar (RIP english).

2) Please feel free to laugh at some of the naive things I wrote. I know I laughed.

3) After writing this letter, we had a competitive beach run. There were other better runners. All I thought about during the run was the letter.

4) If you are feeling distracted, please don't read it. Thank you.

->  Letter from a Friend

No comments: