Sunday 26 February 2012

A Platform



What do you do when you feel controlled by anger or frustration? How will you react when you're weighed down by burdens and concerns? We all have our own ways to distract ourselves or seek for answers, some well, better than the others.

For me, it's football. It's a beautiful game and I love its physical nature. Just channel that unwanted emotions and worries to your feet, and let them.... talk their hearts out. For guys, it's something like beating the crap out of a punching bag. Makes us... quieter (:

The street court at Petal Gardens was my outdoor home since I was 9 - every single evening. Unfortunately the gangs and drugs cases got out of hand at that area and that made me think twice during sec 2. But it didn't bother me much coz thankfully I was in a school team. And I had the crazy pb dudes who're regulars at the pitch too.

When I moved on to college, I wanted to try something new. Y'know, try to see the unexplored routes. For those of you who were with me during PDP exhibition, you know the PDPs I signed up for. Hahahaha. But boy oh boy, I broke my self-promise and made a last minute call into football. My human nature. (;

The experience and lessons were priceless.

What's equally important for me was to have the field as that punching bag.


But now, I'm going to be frank - I feel crappy without it. I think it's the longest I've been without having a game of football. There are other ways but.. football's different.


A blessing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Eeeek. Hahahaha.

Anyways, I bumped into a video of a footballer I look up to since the start of my Red Devil trooper days. Paul Scholes. I was a kid back then when I first liked him and I didn't had a clue about his background and personality, but... it's just that special impression I had of him. And when I grew up around football players, I got to know of their idols, and they were more well-known and talked about on paper.

But what made me realize in this video is that the words of the papers are nothing compared to the words of legends and the best. If you can recognize the voices in the vid, well, an advantage for you. Beckham, Cantona, Henry, it goes on. The famed Zidane told the world that his biggest regret was not playing alongside Scholes. They praise him like no other.

The front page doesn't.

But when I knew about the legends looking up to him, it made me smile.

That satisfaction - I was right all along.




You don't have to watch the whole thing if you don't want to. But it will be great if you can just start from 06:55 to 10:15.

It's about him staying off the media, turning his head away from transfer money, and ultimately being a simple man. A simple man that's talked about by the greatest.

The england managers knocked on his door every term, asking him to continue representing the country on the international stage.

An ex-England manager said, "I tried hard to persuade him. We've been monitoring him for the second part of the season when he’s played very well. We tried to convince him to come back for England because he is one of the best midfielders. It was up to him but in the end he said no, preferring to have a holiday with his family”


He's just unreal.


I received a gift last year from my friends.
It's a Scholes' 1996 FA cup jersey.

Do you have jerseys or shirts with your idol's name on it?
Feels great doesn't it.

(:

I love having his name on my back.

It's an honour.

No comments: