Thursday 1 March 2012

The Greatest Treasure

Here it is, officially announced. The day that'll explode with different emotions, controlled and uncontrolled. Separation and discrimination are inevitable. Success will be evaluated, told, and some hidden. Mere alphabets determine one's superiority over the other.

Or.. so they thought.

I'm here to remind myself and the ones patiently watching over me through this blog, that regardless of the grades we're receiving, regardless of the quality, regardless of how people perceive you after getting that cert, the roads we're directed to are equal. Different in every form, but the same in value.

A smooth tarmac road with a vehicle to drive or an intricate terrain with a bagpack and rugged shoes? Same destination, different routes. A matter of convenience and accessibility? I don't think so.

They might label the tarmac road as a better path. Of course everyone wants it. Me too. It's a dream that even fools yearn for. But I think I have the courage now to say that these two paths presented to us are dead equal and they have their own sets of respectable features.

If we ever view the tarmac road as the better path, shame on us. That means we've yet to open our inner senses. We've yet to understand the things we see growing around us. We've yet to understand the scents and essence. We're afraid of tasting true sweat and tears that nurture a person. We heard, instead of listening.

We can't say that.

Imagine yourself in the driver's seat cruising through... the road of your dreams. You're urging to have a breather and absorb the scenery, but you can't. There are other vehicles all around you, driving through that popular road. Eyes focused, in front. You tried winding down the side window to pick up the scents, but you just can't - going too fast. You're restricted by the traffic lights and rules. It's a.. It's a trade-off. We can't have  everything, it's just the way it is. But there are special drivers coursing comfortably through the road having the best of senses, and they get to enjoy, understand, and appreciate these things. Well, lucky them. They're unique.

For those who aren't given the opportunity to be on the road, they'll have to deal with the physical terrains. Now picture yourself as that.. traveller who's dwarfed and humbled by the challenges ahead of you. Will you moan in disgust about your fate, or will you have the heart to say, "I'm extremely lucky"? No pit stops. You don't have to watch out for traffic except for elephant stampedes or a lioness creeping up behind you. Stocking up on berries and watching out for food along the way.  I mean, it's different. It's how we perceive things to be. Well off course, there's a higher chance of us being lost and distracted from whatever destination we had in mind, but if we can keep ourselves together, live by our simple principles and keep a caring eye on the people we meet, I'm pretty sure we'll have better things to tell at the end of the road. Be mindful and keep on walking. I've heard of a saying - The one who suffers much will know much. You may feel nothing if you understood that. But you'll smile inside if you've truly experienced them.

One path holds the affluence, comfort, luxury. The other holds.. not as much. But I believe they're worth the same, neither one better than the other. It'll take time for us to understand. We're too young for it. We'll have to watch our peers travelling down these different routes. Only time will tell us.

I don't think sharing this is a good idea but I guess I should be a little open about this. It's a little related to today's definition of success. Monetary problems. We're all gonna have it someday. Be it having problems to get an apartment with the best view in town or having problems to worry about your children's meal. They're still problems. We all have them. I know some of us seek comfort by hiding them so extremely well, while others share them to feel better. I don't think I'm the only one having these kinda probs, so you might go "Hey that's me!" after reading this.

My dad's income is around 1.6k, I think. And he's supporting my mom's almost daily dialysis. Everything's a little better since he turned 55 - yay for CPF. (That's why I get to add some geeky items in my inventory) But all along before that day, I get to experience things like the panic attack of the loss of electricity (they usually do it in the evening). Had to do my stuffs with a battery lamp and fan or be outside at night. Incomplete online work? Serve me right for not doing it earlier. Project work matters? Oh crap better knock on my aunt's door late at night and use her internet. Hahaha. Seriously, I don't mean to beg for sympathy or anything but I'm actually thankful to be lucky enough to experience these kinda things. And I think some of us here do have real problems that are far worse than mine. Maybe you've went through more things and you never told a single soul about it. Man, that's..... I admire you.

I mean, it leaves me confused watching some of us react when we can't get that '5 digit income' grades we dream about. Maybe it's the way we're differently brought up. Didn't get the grades you wanted? Be thankful and move on. If your friends ask, "What happened?". Smile, and reply, "Things happened." And walk away. They aren't your friends. (: But of course, for those of you who'll get the colourful grades, we're going to be proud of you. Hug your parents.

Look at the society we have today - which is us btw, that's the way it is, and that's the way it will be in the future. Moving forward to survive. Should that be our incentive? Hmm. Go with the flow, but always have that courage to step out if necessary, and let no one define you except for yourself. Draw the line between laziness and satisfaction. We'll be fine. And when you have kids in the future, ask about their aspirations. If they answer with an occupation, tell them that it's not the best answer. It makes a difference, I feel.

Sometimes, we humans do what's best for ourselves, but it was never up to us to determine anything. Someone reminded me once of a question, a "question that won't be answered by any certificate, be it one with straight As or one with straight Us."


Keep on going and have a look around.


Someday, if we're permitted to,


We'll find the greatest treasure on our journey -





Contentment.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



A little confused? Put your headphones on. Close your eyes.

And breathe. You'll need this.

No comments: