Monday 11 March 2013

Fire Virginity

Got my first fire on the 10th of March at 4 in the morning.

Stretched my hand in front of me, and I couldn't see it at all. It was smoke logged. I've never pulled my breathing mask so tight before. It went well, thankfully. It was fortunate that the fire didn't spread to the storage of wines and whiskeys.

Told all the other appliances to return back to base after it was stable.
Stayed another 4 hours for fire investigation. (The investigation was more tiring, somehow)

I actually slept for merely an hour before the call but it was amazing how fatigue seems to disappear and all your engines start running at an instant. It was different compared to blasting 3 alarms beside my pillow to wake me up for school assignments.

But the most amazing thing for my 2nd duty was not the fire.

It was how I got to have a long talk with the people I'm in charge of. The sharing session has opened a new pair of eyes for me and hopefully, a new heart as well.

Yes, I'll remember my first fire.

But I'll definitely remember, for the first time in my life, the people who were already back at the station, waiting for me at the gate at 8 in the morning, smiling, some cheering and giving me their salute as my appliance returned back to base.

I don't think it was a sign of respect.

I feel it symbolized a pair of open arms.

I have an amazing group of people to learn from. Not just about rescue ops.


But everything else, as well.

No comments: