Thursday 28 March 2013

Letter

Just came back from a fire.

I'm still not satisfied with myself, but I'm picking it up.
How I wish I can turn back time and do it flawlessly.

I received a word of advice from one of my most respected mentor last night. I hope you won't misunderstand my intention. I think this is something for us all. It really is, something.

~


Hi Azmi,

That's absolutely fantastic to hear that!! Wow!! central fire station, and it's said a lot about your capabilities in being selected to handle such high profile station.

Yes, Azmi.. I still leading groups in OBS and overseas.. Age is catching up and I should think I will take a long long holiday soon.. Haha..

From your note of the letter, it seems you are brimming with pride yet at the same time laden with worries.. I usually live by the mantra, no point regretting the past; it's over & no benefit worrying about the future; I can't control that.. While there are hiccups along the way, but it has serves me well because it guided me in believing myself to deliver the best...

Such a steady stream of experience guys, I guess on your plate right now is not to so much of leading them (they know at the back of their hands on what to do) but rather using your heart to guide them as well as inspiring them.. I can't say I am very knowledgeable and it will be a 100% success but trying something with sincerity doesn't hurts..

Engage yourself with small talks with your men - listening to their fire fighting experiences, what motivates them to keep on persevering, what was their impactful moment (good and bad) and how they like you to come in to support. After you listen enough (well, might take more than a few sessions) at the same time, you have to minimally shows that you can handle your hardskills well..

It will be hard to manage with all the hoo-haas of an oldest and busiest fire station and you probably have to keep up with being mentally fir as well.. Evaluate after that it what way you think the fire station could benefit and discuss it with your "trusted" sidekicks (potential one of your longest serving men/ sergeant) as well as your drc. Once you are comfortable, involve them in asking how they think the fire station could benefit in trainings or personal development.. At this point, you do not have to share all what you have in mind. Take things one at a time..

From there, you should be able to realise their motivation, their development level and general attitude. You can choose either as formal platform or informal platform - but before doing so, do express what is it that you would like the session to come out to (a certain expectations)..

Remember, you don't have to do it alone - find a trusted, reliable crew to work with you on it. At the end of the day, they can benefit the process - cause once you leave the stations, they will pick up the skills to self develop themselves. Affirmed them when they do good, when there's boo-boos encourage them to share the incident. Just remember do not do it in a way you are asking the floor to judge him or say what's right or what's wrong.. Look after their pride, protect it yet nurture it at the same time..

Ultimately, time management and with lots of hardwork and sincerity, you can achieve at least a certain level. DO not pressure yourself too high though.. just take small steady steps!

Have a blessed day my friend!

~

No comments: