Saturday 10 March 2012

Angels are meant to be discovered, not shown

There's a need for me to make a post about this. It's been bothering me, in a good way, since last night. If you're rushing off to somewhere or if you're doing practically anything, please, come back again and read this when you're not distracted. Best time would be.. midnight? I might need quite a big chunk of your time. I believe this post will be somewhat special to me now and in the future, and I hope you'll feel the same way too by the end of this. Please stay with me on this one, and I... beg you to watch the videos.

I was browsing for covers on youtube and I kept clicking over to random videos. I hate to think it as luck, but I stumbled on a video of a little girl singing a Whitney Houston's song. I was amazed by her voice and I looked at her name - Connie Talbot. Does it ring a bell to you? Connie Talbot, the youngest finalist of Britain's Got Talent. The toothless girl that sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow. She was six back then in front of Simon. Now, she's won an accolade of Gold and Platinum label record for her albums. That is simply amazing. Here's the performance that I watched by random. She's ten in this video.


That falsetto and power.


She does have a lovely voice, doesn't she? Reminds me of the classic female singers such as Celine Dion, someone with a real voice. I got hooked instantly. I found her channel and my goodness, she's no ordinary artist.

She's not the type of singer that wants to look great in videos. No mimicking of pre-recorded songs for different camera angles and acted emotions for covers, unlike most youtube artists today- Boyce Avenue, Sam Tsui. Don't get me wrong. They're great artists. They used to do it live, but I guess fancy camera work earns them the points they're looking for. But the plus point for her? Her music taste. :D She sings covers of The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, John Lennon, Whitney Houston, Leona Lewis, Louis Armstrong, Bob Marley, Wicked the musical and the list goes on. Doesn't matter if it's recorded with a simple family camera and a home karaoke system. It's best that way. I know someday, a cover of Queen will be in my subscription box. So I subscribed.




I don't think it's just the voice, but her delivery. It's just, real. You can read singers through their live performances. It tells you things about them. And after watching her videos all night, I had a feeling she's special. Her personality's special. To me, she's a league above Caroline Costa, Maddi Jane, and even most singers older than her. Not a prima donna or diva in anyway. I wanted to make sure and I did. I had nothing on today (what's new) so I used the time watching her TV and radio interviews. I think she's 8 when she did these two. Remind yourself of her age when you're watching these two videos. (and please, do watch them. 25 minutes in total)






"You are absolutely unspoiled, unaffected by all this attention,
and you're just a real warm, true, positive spirit. It's the truth."


Indeed.

What were we doing when we're 8? Busy counting cookies in our cookie jars, or in packets coz we just tied it with a rubber band. And the question about her wishlist from Santa - It speaks for itself, doesn't it? If we're asked back then, we would have our There-You-Go! list. There are other great interviews too, do check them out if you're willing. I saw a recent interview. She said her mom brings her around for shopping, but, she hates shopping. YES. Woopa! Finally. Thank you. Hahahahaha. A girl like her? She doesn't need shopping.

I hope she continues to sing these types of songs. It's great that she doesn't have a producer or a manager or whatnots, and she picks her own songs for concerts. Her judgement should be trusted. And please don't let her be another disposable pop singer. Follow Celine Dion's path, but just be Connie. I hope she will change the meaning of music again like what Lennon did with Imagine. I think she's on path. Listen to her recent original entitled Beautiful World. She wrote the song herself. With such innocence, I believe she did, maybe with a little family's help.


I wish I knew why the clouds above are so beautiful
And I wish that I knew why they create pictures for me and you
It's a miracle for us to share
White and grey patterns up in the air
I could daydream and look at the sky forever

Can't you see that it's a beautiful world
Come with me, I'll show you
Open your eyes and see the beauty around
Take my hand, and I'll lead you
It's so wonderful, so magical

Just see other day,
I saw an angel and a polar bear playing games in the sky
I saw a king sat in a great big chair
If you look at the clouds every way
Then they tell us a story each day
And they don't make a sound but they'll share together


With a special voice at such a young age, she'll cause people to be wonderstruck. But perhaps it's her incredible personality that inspires the most. A simple girl with an absolutely gorgeous and sensible character. A quiet girl with a loud soul. It's really endearing. It really is. The way she responds to questions and interviews is extraordinary. It comes out naturally through her heart.

"It is impossible to fully appreciate Connie's character without understanding the loving environment at home with her family. While you might expect a young star to be the product of 'pushy' parents you soon realise that Connie is supported in whatever she chooses to do by the incredible love of a close and caring family."

I couldn't agree more. Her parents give her own space to be an independent little girl. But of course, it might be different coz she's a natural gift. Our parents might compare us to other kids they know, but why can't they compare themselves to other parents? Hope we'll remember that in the future. There's no blessing better than watching someone grow under your guidance, be it your junior or child.

Sometimes when I'm fortunate to meet someone like Connie Talbot, I wish I'd known about her a couple of years earlier. But better late than never. You'll feel ashamed when you take look and compare yourself to such people. It seems like our previous actions will come back and haunt us at night when we finally realized. Will it be unnatural for us to change in front of those who have known us for so long? Maybe the truth is it's a little too late afterall. Maybe.

So when you're given a chance to have a reset button in a form of meeting new people or a new environment, be sure to press it. There's always a chance to discover a better side of you.

Speaking about discovery, I'm really glad I got to click around and find Connie Talbot. You don't come across someone like this very often. Go to her channel through the first two videos and please be impressed. Can't wait to see her all grown up. She's a special gift to this world. It's a privilege to discover an angel, instead of being shown to one.




Thank you, Connie.

No comments: